The Ministry of the Rural Transformation, Community Development, Labour and Local Government hereby notifies the public that the National Child Labour Committee will resume the performance of its mandate starting this April 2021.
The key functions of the National Child Labour Committee include that of (i) identifying incidents of child labour in Belize; (ii) reviewing domestic legislation, conventions, policies and standards in Belize that relate to or affect child labour issues; and (iii) making recommendations for amendments to or development of new legislation with a view to improving labour conditions for children in Belize.
The members of the National Child Labour Committee are representatives of multi-sectoral agencies and the Government.
The newly appointed Government representatives to the National Child Labour Committee are as follows:
- Ms. Nemencia Broaster from Ministry of Education, Culture, Science & Technology
- Ms. Mrs. Silvia Gillett from Ministry of Youth, Sports & E-Governance
- Ms. Rosa Urbina from Ministry of Foreign, Foreign Trade and Immigration
The other members of the National Child Labour Committee are as follows:
- Mr. Ion Cacho from the National Trade Union Congress of Belize
- Mrs. Kim Aikman from the Belize Chamber of Commerce & Industry
- Mr. Curwen Arthurs from the Statistical Institute of Belize
- Ms. Margaret Nicholas from the National Committee for Families and Children
- Ms. Marleni Montejo from the Police Department
- Ms. Diana Shaw from the Child Development Foundation
The Labour Commissioner also sits on the Committee, which meets on the first Thursday of every month.