Applications are invited from suitably qualified persons to fill the post of Labour Commissioner, Labour Department, Ministry of Rural Transformation, Community Development, Labour and Local Government.
- BASIC PURPOSE OF POSITION:
To provide advice to the Minister of Labour on Polices and Implement Government Policy on Labour and Industrial relations matters.
- ANALYSIS OF POSITION:
(I) Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise the Labour Department, implement Government’s policy on industrial relations matters and advise the Minister of Labour on all Labour matters;
- Advise the Minister of Labour regarding Regulations to be made under Labour Legislations;
- Advise the Minister of Labour regarding the approval or refusal of applications for work permits after reviewing the reports received from the Labour Officers;
- Review the Deputy Labour Commissioner’s reports on investigations carried out involving conciliation on matters of disputes and workers’ complaints, investigations and inspections carried out;
- Represent the Labour Department at inter-agency and external committee meetings, conferences nationally and internationally;
- Assist with the development and execution of strategic plans, internal policies and procedures;
- Manage programs and projects implemented by the Labour Department;
- Engage with stakeholders’ collective bargaining process, mediation process and arbitration process;
- Supervise the Labour Department staff and conduct staff performance appraisals;
- Prepare an annual workplan, annual budget and annual report for the Labour Department;
- Chair meetings of Labour Committees;
- Enforce the Labour Act and amendments to the Act as well as any other Acts in Belize as may be required from time to time;
- Act as Registrar of Trade Unions and Employers’ Organizations;
- Certify registration of Trade Unions and Employer Organizations;
- Keep a register of all Trade Unions and Employers’ Organizations registered under this Act;
- Keep copies of all Collective Agreements;
- Conduct representational polls on behalf of Trade Unions who are seeking to represent workers in a particular industry;
- Supervise Union Council elections on an annual basis;
- Any other related duties assigned from time to time
Be in possession of a Master Degree in Industrial Relations, Human Resource Management, Labour Law, Labour Economics, or related field plus five (5) years’ work experience in management and/or related field.
(b) Competence and Skills:
- Knowledge of labour laws and condition of service regulations.
- Basic knowledge of judiciary/law.
- Supervisory, managerial and leadership skills.
- Organizational skills.
- Time management skills.
- Good writing and communication skills
- Excellent research and analytical skills.
- Critical thinking skills.
- REPORTING RESPONSIBILITY:
The Labour Commissioner reports to the Chief Executive Officer, Ministry of Rural Transformation, Community Development, Labour and Local Government.
Government of Belize Pay Scale 25 of $42,862 X 1,480 - $70,982 per annum.
Interested persons in possession of the required qualifications and experience and who have the aptitude for the post can submit their complete application package to the Chief Executive Officer, Ministry of the Public Service, Constitutional and Political Reform and Religious Affairs, North Wing, Ground Floor, Sir Edney Cain Building, City of Belmopan, Cayo District no later than Friday, 8th July 2022.