The Government of Belize in advancing the achievements of the SDGs and support for Agenda 2030 reflects a concerted effort to integrate support for mainstreaming the SDGs into sector plans and policies and building national capacities to monitor and report on SDG implementation. Goal 6 of SDGs, “Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all”. In 2015, there were 96% of the population having access to an improved water source but with the effects of climate change, that number has decreased.
Water Boards are appointed to manage the rudimentary water systems in the rural areas. These Boards carry out various functions related to the supply of water.
Each board is responsible for:
- All operations and maintenance of the water system to ensure the uninterrupted supply of water within the village.
- Regulating pumping hours
- Undertaking expansion of the water system
- Laying of pipes in the village
- Collecting user fees
- Carrying out disconnections
- Keeping proper records of accounts
- Any other functions related to the supply of water in the village